JOB TITLE: Asphalt Technician, Full-Time
SUPERVISOR’S TITLE: Asphalt Binder Laboratory Manager
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: None
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt / Full-Time (40 hours/week)
UPDATED: January 27, 2020
Under administrative and technical supervision by the Asphalt Binder Laboratory Manager, conducts a variety of activities in the Division of Research and Laboratory Services including testing and reporting results of testing on the properties and uses of asphalt materials.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Under administrative and technical supervision by the Asphalt Binder Laboratory Manager:
- Operates and supports the use of laboratory testing apparatuses. This includes device calibration as well as specimen preparation and instrumentation. Prepares lab results for further analyses.
- Develops and maintains proficiency in asphalt materials test procedures. Conducts testing related to these lab procedures with the need for only moderate supervision.
- Maintains and is responsible for the maintenance, organization, and cleanliness of the laboratory and laboratory equipment.
- Contributes to maintaining AASHTO Accreditation for the AI Laboratory by conducting verification and calibration of equipment in the Asphalt Binder Laboratory, participating in training and procedural reviews, and preparing for inspections by AASHTO re:source.
- Under guidance from the Asphalt Binder Laboratory Manager, coordinates with equipment and material suppliers and mechanical contractors to successfully implement new laboratory equipment and test procedures.
- Assists in the preparation of educational materials for training as needed. Supports regular, full-time technicians in lab training efforts.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this position. Incumbents may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
Timely attendance is a requirement since the position generates revenue for the Division.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
At a minimum, a high school diploma or equivalent is required. Good computer skills including word-processing and spreadsheet skills are desired. Must have the ability to work in a team-oriented environment. Strong personal organization and multi-tasking skills are also beneficial, as is the ability to handle normal workloads with minimal supervision from the Asphalt Binder Laboratory Manager. A valid driver’s license is required.
No specific work experience required. Must be at least 18 years of age as work is in a laboratory with daily exposure to the potential hazards of laboratory chemicals and testing equipment.
Position has no unusual physical demands; however, there is routine exposure to the potential hazards of laboratory chemicals and testing equipment. Sufficient manual dexterity needed to operate personal computer keyboard and testing equipment. Sufficient strength required for routine lifting of laboratory materials and equipment. Extended periods of time will be spent standing/moving about the laboratory. Required to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) as supplied by Asphalt Institute, which may include: gloves, safety glasses, hearing protection, lab coat, and lab-appropriate footwear.
This position does not require any business travel.
Submit a letter of interest and resume via e-mail to Human Resources, at email@example.com.