AI provides five essential core services to members in the following areas:
- Member Connectivity
- Asphalt Promotion
- Environmental Oversight
- Technical Leadership
- Educational Expertise
Providing the catalyst for dialog through forums that keep you fully abreast of current happenings in the industry. AI’s 3 executive meetings (spring, summer and annual) offer opportunity for industry networking and committee dialogue at leading hotels in the U.S. and Canada.
- AI’s 11 standing committees include Affiliate, Canadian, HS&E, Marketing and Technical Advisory Committees
- Asphalt E-News (an electronic newsletter) is published once a month with industry news for AI members
- AI annually publishes the Asphalt Usage Report for the industry, which is free to members
- Asphalt magazine reaches 17,000 decision makers 3 times a year
National and local educational marketing in a variety of forms to ensure asphalt is the pavement of choice. AI is a principal partner in the Asphalt Pavement Alliance , an industry coalition whose mission is to further the use and quality of Hot Mix Asphalt pavements through research, technology transfer, engineering, education and innovation.
- AI offers over 100 different educational products, including books and manuals such as the benchmark MS-4 Asphalt Handbook , as well as videos, software and informational brochures for training, promotion, and best practices in asphalt usage. Members receive a discount on AI publications and products.
- AI seminars train thousands of industry representatives annually and provide a credible venue to promote new technologies, such as rubblization, Superpave, etc.
- Seminars include Mix Design Technologies, Binder Training, Airfield Pavement Technical Workshops and Construction of Quality HMA
Critical research, representation and monitoring of regulatory activity for the benefit of the industry. AI promotes petroleum asphalt as a safe and environmentally friendly construction material for highways, streets, and roofing systems through a program of scientific research and technological developments.
- Serves as a center of excellence for health, safety, and environmental matters with involvement in a number of industry committees and partnerships.
- Provides direct service to members through original research projects, monitoring of regulatory initiatives, best management practices guides and representation at public hearings.
Technical industry representation and support to user agencies through representation in key industry partnerships. AI’s 8 Regional Engineers (seven in U.S. and one in Canada ) serve the industry in order to preserve and expand the asphalt market by providing engineering and education support at the local, state and national levels.
- Representation in AAPT, TRB, ASTM, CTAA, ETGs, FAA, UPGs, and FHWA – Involvement with local specifications, conference planning and testing issues.
- National and AI Laboratory research.
- Industry partnerships including AHUA, ARTBA, TRIP, TRB, AASHTO, NPHQ, Asphalt Committee ETG, Road Gang, Foundation for Pavement Preservation, Coalitions, etc.
Providing professional engineering, research, testing and product analysis support for our members. The Laboratory of the Asphalt Institute is a leading facility in asphalt industry research, testing and analysis offering excellent service for our members and other customers. Members receive a discount on AI lab services.
- Asphalt Academy® Training
- Superpave Binder
- Asphalt Mix Design Technology Certification
- Customized Training and Seminars
- Testing & Analysis
- PG Classification and Advanced Binder Testing
- Mix Design Mix
- Performance Testing and Analysis
- Forensic Testing and Analysis
- Full-time NICET-certified Technicians; AASHTO Accredited
- Flexural Beam Fatigue and Indirect Tensile Creep Testing
- Shear and Uniaxial Testing