Upcoming Class Dates
The construction and maintenance of a long lasting asphalt pavement begins in its design phase. Both the thickness and mix designs have a direct effect on a pavement’s ultimate performance.
To address the needs of designing an asphalt mixture that will maximize its life, industry experts Tim Murphy, P.E., Murphy Pavement Technology, and Dave Johnson, P.E., Asphalt Institute Senior Regional Engineer, bring their combined 60+ years of experience to offer asphalt mix design certification course specifically tailored to the needs of the Idaho asphalt community. Successfully passing the certification test meets the training component requirement for mix design technicians and engineers in the state of Idaho as established by the Idaho Transportation Department. Students will receive training over the entire range of activities related to the design of asphalt mixtures: aggregate and binder selection, material properties, development of trial blends, batching, volumetric calculations and analysis, Superpave mix criteria, mix performance tests and criteria emphasizing Idaho requirements, use of RAP in asphalt mix designs, plus an overview of SMA mixtures.
Each attendee will receive one electronic copy of the Asphalt Institute’s MS-2, Asphalt Mix Design Methods and PDF files of all the presentations. Certification for those passing the certification exam will be made by Murphy Pavement Technology and signed by both instructors as well as an Idaho Transportation Department official.
Who Should Attend
This course has been developed to meet the needs of those actively involved in mixture design, material specifications and field management of asphalt mixtures in Idaho. State and local transportation agencies, consultants and contractors who are involved in HMA materials and mix design will benefit from this course.
Fees & Registration
- Per student cost for the Idaho Superpave Asphalt Mix Design Qualification Training is: $1,095
- Registration fees must be received prior to the course date.
- The fee includes course material(s).
- Early registration is recommended!
Professional Development Hours
- 5 day mix design course, 25.5 PDHs
- You might also be interested in the course Idaho Asphalt Workmanship Training.
- If you work for an Asphalt Institute member company and this is your first time registering, please call 859.288.4960 if you need assistance in setting up an account.
Transfers, Cancellation and Refund Policy
- For the virtual course, you may cancel without penalty up to one week prior to course start date. If you provide the Asphalt Institute with less than one week’s notice, or fail to attend, you will be liable for the entire seminar fee.
- For in-person courses you may also send someone to take your place. We appreciate that this is an important investment for you and your company and would like to accommodate your needs the best we can. Therefore, please call us at 859.288.4960.
Inclement Weather Info
In case of inclement weather please check our Inclement Weather Information page for further instructions.