(3.5 day course / 22.5 PDHs)
$1,195 per person
Course Description | Optional Certification Testing | Software | Class Schedule | Who Should Attend | Fees, Registration, Dates & Seminar Location | Transfer, Cancellation & Refund Policy | Hotel Info | Inclement Weather Info | Contact Info
The Mix Design Technology Certification (MDT) course provides advanced technicians, designers, and engineers with a thorough understanding of the properties of the materials which compose asphalt mixtures, as well as the physical and mathematical processes involved in producing a successful asphalt mixture design. Instruction will fully cover the Superpave mix design process, plus discuss mix design using Reclaimed Asphalt Pavement (RAP), as well as provide an overview of specialty asphalt mixes. Students will receive training over the entire range of activities related to the design of asphalt mixtures: aggregate and binder selection, material properties, development of trial blends, batching, volumetric calculations and analysis, Superpave mix criteria, mix performance tests and criteria, use of RAP in asphalt mix designs, plus an overview of SMA and open-graded mixtures.
Eighty percent (80%) of the course time will be spent in the classroom, and the remaining twenty percent (20%) will be spent in the lab for a basic overview of the tests used in asphalt mix design volumetrics, plus an introduction to some of the mix performance tests available to designers. Students passing an optional written certification test at the end of the course will earn the Asphalt Institute’s Mix Design Technology Certification. The MDT class can accommodate up to 28 students, which will enable clear laboratory demonstrations in the space available, while still giving students access to our experienced instructors for Q&A at any time during the course. Every person entering the Laboratory space must wear safety glasses and a lab coat. Individuals who wear glasses must wear side shields. AI will supply required PPE, but welcomes students to bring their own PPE to ensure comfort and fit.
This course is intended to complement the Asphalt Institute’s Basic Mixture Technician Training (BMTT) course. While the MDT course focuses on how advanced technicians, designers, and/or engineers use laboratory and project information in the mix design process to create long-lasting asphalt mixtures, the BMTT course focuses on the actual tests and laboratory processes involved in asphalt mix design performed by technicians.
Optional Certification Testing
The last day is reserved for an optional written certification exam. The exam, which is takes from two to three hours to complete on average, is designed to be challenging enough to allow only those students who have a good understanding of the design process to pass. Several specifying agencies have accepted the Asphalt Institute Mix Design Technology Certification, either in whole or in part, as meeting the requirements for certification for their agency. Prospective participants should verify the applicability of this certification with their local agency. The Asphalt Institute does not maintain a list of agencies that accept this certification.
Who Should Attend
This course has been developed to meet the needs of those actively involved in mixture design, material specifications and field management of asphalt mixtures. State and local transportation agencies, consultants and contractors who are involved in HMA materials and design will benefit from this course.
Fees & Registration & Seminar Location
The registration fee is $1195. The course fee includes a workbook along with supplemental materials, AI’s new 7th edition of our consolidated mix design manual (MS-2 Asphalt Mix Design Methods, the optional certification test, refreshments, and lunches. Early registration is recommended as the class is limited.
|January 31 – February 3, 2017||Lexington, KY||Asphalt Institute
2696 Research Park Dr.
Lexington, KY 40511-8480
|February 7 – 10, 2017||Sacramento, CA||Granite Construction Incorporated
4001 Bradshaw Road
Sacramento, CA 95827-3800
Transfer, Cancellation and Refund Policy
You may cancel without penalty up to three weeks prior to course start date. If you provide the Asphalt Institute with less than three weeks’ notice, or fail to attend, you will be liable for the entire seminar fee. You may also send someone to take your place. We appreciate that this is an important investment for you and your company, and would like to accommodate your needs the best we can. If you have any questions, please call us at 859.288.4960.
Hotel Info & Helpful Links
List of available hotels in Lexington, KY
Download the Asphalt Academy Flyer
Download the Mail/Fax-In Registration Form
Inclement Weather Info
In case of inclement weather please check our Inclement Weather Information page for further instructions.
For more information contact
Asphalt Institute Headquarters
Phone: (859) 288-4960
Fax: (859) 288-4999