Upcoming Class Dates
|FEB 27-MAR 1, 2024||8:00AM – 5:00PM||AI Headquarters, Lexington, KY||Enroll Today!|
- Day 1 – 3: 8:00AM – 5:00PM
- Day 4: 8:00AM – 12:00PM (practice exam and review)
The Basic Mixture Technician Training course provides detailed, hands-on laboratory training on basic aggregate and asphalt mixture testing for both experienced and inexperienced technicians. Instruction covers the most current AASHTO and ASTM standards used in the asphalt mix design process. The course focuses on giving the students a thorough understanding of each test and related processes, while instructing students on the procedures and techniques which will maximize testing accuracy and repeatability. Students receive training over the entire range of activities related to asphalt mix design and testing: aggregate sampling and batching, testing aggregate properties, mixing, short-term aging, compaction, and testing of loose and compacted asphalt mixtures. Approximately three-fourths of the course time will be spent in the laboratory with the remaining one-fourth spent in classroom instruction. The class size is limited to six students to maximize each student’s time in the lab with instructors.
This course is intended to complement the Asphalt Institute’s Mix Design Technology course which focuses on how advanced technicians, designers, and/or engineers use laboratory and project information in the mix design process to create long-lasting asphalt mixtures.
Practice Written Exam and Review (DAY 4)
The last segment of the course is devoted to a practice written exam intended to test the student’s knowledge of the content delivered during the class. The exam takes 2-3 hours on average to complete and will be followed by a group review of the answers.
Tests Covered in Laboratory Portion of Course:
Every person entering an Asphalt Institute Laboratory space must wear safety glasses and a lab coat. Individuals who wear glasses must wear side shields. AI will supply required PPE, but welcomes students to bring their own PPE to ensure comfort and fit.
Aggregate Consensus Tests
- AASHTO T2/ASTM D75: Sampling Aggregate
- AASHTO T248/ASTM C702: Reducing Aggregate to Testing Size
- AASHTO T11/ASTM C117: Washed Sieve Analysis
- AASHTO T27/ASTM C136: Sieve Analysis of Fine and Coarse Aggregates
- AASHTO T85/ASTM C127: Coarse Aggregate Specific Gravity and Absorption
- AASHTO T84/ASTM C128: Fine Aggregate Specific Gravity and Absorption
- AASHTO T176/ASTM D2419: Sand Equivalent
- AASHTO T335/ASTM D5821: Coarse Aggregate Angularity
- AASHTO T304/C1252: Fine Aggregate Angularity
- ASTM D4791: Flat & Elongated Particles
HMA Compacted Specimen & Volumetric Properties Tests
- AASHTO T312/ASTM D6925: Preparation and Determination for Density of Asphalt Mix Specimens by the Superpave Gyratory Compactor
- AASHTO R47: Reducing Asphalt Mixture to Testing Size
- AASHTO T168/ASTM D979: Sampling Asphalt Mixture from the Field
- AASHTO T209/ASTM D2041: Maximum Theoretical Specific Gravity of Asphalt Mixtures
- AASHTO T166/ASTM D2726: Bulk Specific Gravity of Non-Absorptive Compacted Asphalt Mixtures
- AASHTO T331/ASTM D6752: Bulk Specific Gravity of Compacted Asphalt Mixtures – Vacuum Sealing Method
- ASTM D7227: Drying of Compacted Asphalt Mixture Specimens Using Vacuum Drying
- AASHTO T283/ASTM D4867: Resistance of Asphalt Mixtures to Moisture-Induced Damage
Who Should Attend
This course primarily targets new technicians working in an asphalt mixtures lab. Others who can benefit are asphalt technologists, engineers, consultants, scientists, and technicians responsible for asphalt testing, materials approval, specification and quality control for pavements. Knowledge of aggregate and asphalt mixture specifications is helpful but not required. The course may also benefit local and state materials and federal agency personnel, contractors, and university educators.
Fees & Registration
- The registration fee for this in-person course is $1,595.
- Registration fees must be received prior to the course date.
- The fee includes course material(s), refreshments and lunches.
- Early registration is recommended as the classes are limited to 6 students per instructor
Professional Development Hours
- 3.5 day course, 26 PDHs
- If you work for an Asphalt Institute member company and this is your first time registering, please call 859.288.4960 if you need assistance in setting up an account.
Transfers, Cancellation and Refund Policy
- For in-person courses, you may cancel without penalty up to three weeks prior to course start date. If you provide the Asphalt Institute with less than three weeks’ notice, or fail to attend, you will be liable for the entire seminar fee. You may send someone to take your place. We appreciate that this is an important investment for you and your company and would like to accommodate your needs the best we can. Therefore, please call us at 859.288.4960.
Inclement Weather Info
In case of inclement weather please check our Inclement Weather Information page for further instructions.