Back in 2004 the Asphalt Institute (AI) and PRI Asphalt Technologies collaborated to develop a binder specification database by State. From that initiative, the AI Regional Engineers have over the years enhanced and maintained the currency of this binder spec database. Available below (as downloadable pdf files) are individual documents for each of the 50 State highway agencies which summarize their respective asphalt binder specifications. A standardized format is used to list the PG requirements as well as PG-Plus requirements for grades listed in that State’s specifications. Notes are included for additional details. Other information includes the State website where the specifications can be found, the State contact person, specification exclusions, descriptions, etc.
AI will periodically contact the Binder or Materials Engineer listed on the document to review the information for accuracy. Date of this last review is included. Corrections or comments may be e-mailed to us by using the link below. Changes will only be made after confirmation by the individual listed for that State.
While care has been taken to provide the most accurate and current information, users are warned that there may be inaccuracies and recent revisions may not be reflected. To ensure the most accurate information, the particular State agency should be contacted. In addition, this compilation of information should not infer an Asphalt Institute endorsement for any of the specifications or requirements listed.
If you have any corrections or comments please fill out out form for corrections or comments.
The specifications for performance Graded (PG) asphalt binders are given by AASHTO M 320 or ASTM D6373.
All State Specification Summaries are in Adobe PDF format
- Standard Specification for Performance-Graded Asphalt Binder
- Includes States still using M320
- Includes States that use MSCR Recovery only as a PG-Plus test
M320 / M332
- States that specify M332 for some grades and M320 for other grades
- Includes States that allow a substitution of M332 for M320 grades
- Standard Specification for Performance-Graded Asphalt Binder Using Multiple Stress Creep Recovery (MSCR) test
- Includes States that have adopted M332 for all grades
- Includes States that have adopted M332 for all grades, but retain the M320 nomenclature