Clifford Richardson, known internationally as an authority on asphalt pavements, published the first major treatise on the subject. Appearing in 1904, it was entitled “The Modern Asphalt Pavement.” As he also wrote extensively in the field of industrial chemistry, the prominent role of chemistry in the asphalt industry is due in large part to his pioneer work.
Mr. Richardson was a graduate in chemistry from Harvard University in 1877. His career began in the U.S. Department of Agriculture, from which he resigned as Principal Assistant Chemist in 1887 after ten years of service. He then became an Inspector of Asphalt and Cement in the Engineering Department of the District of Columbia. In 1896, however, he moved to New York City to become Superintendent of Tests for the Barber Asphalt Paving Company, leaving this company in 1900 to organize the New York Testing Laboratory from which he retired in 1921.
Mr. Richardson was a member of many industry related organizations including the Association of Asphalt Paving Technologists.