William B. Greene was co-founder, with H. H. Barber, of the Barber-Greene Company in 1916. His company in later years developed asphalt plants and paving machines that revolutionized the asphalt paving industry. These machines raised the quality and reduced the cost of asphalt paving for highways and airports.
Barber-Greene first publicly displayed an experimental asphalt mixer and asphalt finishing machine at the Road Show of the American Road-Builders’ Association in St. Louis, Missouri, in 1931. Later that summer the first asphalt pavement using this equipment was placed in Rolla, Missouri.
Mr. Greene held many positions within his company, including Chairman of the Board, from which he retired in 1965.