1879 – 1940
A leading asphalt chemist, the late Leroy M. Law is renowned for his research in the field of asphalt technology and construction. Active in he Asphalt Institute, he served on its technical committees and as President from 1929 – 1931.
Mr. Law began his career in the office of the Supervising Architect of the Treasury Department in 1902. Six years later he was appointed a chief chemist in the office of the Inspector of Asphalts and Cements of the District of Columbia. Joining the U.S. Asphalt Refining Company in 1912, he was in charge of all technical matters relating to the production and use of asphalt products produced at the firm’s Baltimore refinery. He moved to New Orleans in 1920, serving as asphalt technologist for Shell Petroleum Corporation until 1937. He then became a private consultant.
One of the organizers of the Association of Asphalt Paving Technologists, Mr. Law served as a member of the board of directors almost continuously from the time it was organized until his death. He was also an active member of the American Society for Testing and Materials.