In 1919, eleven petroleum asphalt refiners and paving contractors formed the Asphalt Association as the Asphalt Institute was formerly known. Over ninety years later, the mission of the Asphalt Institute remains essentially the same; through education, engineering, technical development, environmental stewardship and marketing leadership, the Asphalt Institute promotes the safe use, benefits and quality performance of petroleum asphalts with a unified voice for our membership..
The history of the Asphalt institute has closely paralleled that of the industry. Our experience and continued focus on technical excellence makes us uniquely qualified to execute research from large, federally-funded projects to smaller, private endeavors.
- Over 90 years of experience
- Published, award-winning engineering staff
- Career NICET-certified technicians
- Involvement in ASTM, AAPT, ETGs and TRB committees
These are some of the reasons the Laboratory of the Asphalt Institute is the right laboratory for your asphalt research needs.
Accomplishments of the research team:
- A Laboratory and Field Investigation to Develop Test Procedures for Predicting Non-Load Associated Cracking of Airfield HMA Pavements : AAPTP 06-01
- Techniques for Prevention and Remediation of Non-Load Related Distresses on HMA Airfield Pavements : AAPTP 05-07
- Factors Affecting Asphalt Pavement Density and the Effect on Long Term Pavement Performance : Kentucky Transportation Cabinet
- Relationship Between Superpave Gyratory Compaction Properties and Permanent Deformation of Pavements in Service : NCHRP 9-16
- Incorporation of Reclaimed Asphalt Pavement in the Superpave System : NCHRP 9-12
- Modified Asphalt Binders in Superpave : NCHRP 9-10
- Refinement of the Superpave Gyratory Compaction Procedure : NCHRP 9-9
- Field Procedures and Equipment to Implement SHRP Asphalt Specifications : NCHRP 9-7
- FHWA National Asphalt Training Center I and II
- Trained engineers and technicians in the background of the Superpave binder and mixture tests. Provided technical assistance to highway agencies in implementing Superpave
- Develop course materials and served as instructors
- Research and development of the Superpave gyratory compactor and the Superpave mix design system : SHRP A-001
Request more information about any of the Asphalt Institute Laboratory services.