The Basic Mixture Technician Training (BMT) course provides detailed, hands-on laboratory training to both experienced and inexperienced technicians for testing aggregates and asphalt mixtures. Instruction will cover the most current AASHTO and ASTM standards used in the Superpave mix design process. The course focuses on giving the students a thorough understanding of each test and related processes, while instructing students on the procedures and techniques which will maximize testing accuracy and repeatability. Students will receive training over the entire range of activities related to asphalt mix design and testing: aggregate sampling and batching, testing aggregate properties, mixing, short-term aging, compaction, and testing of both loose and compacted asphalt mixtures. Eighty percent (80%) of the course time will be spent in the laboratory, and the remaining twenty percent (20%) will be spent in classroom instruction. The class size is limited to six students to maximize each student’s time with instructors while reviewing each test procedure.
This course is intended to complement the Asphalt Institute’s Mix Design Training (MDT) course. While the BMT course focuses on the actual tests and laboratory processes involved in asphalt mix design performed by technicians, the MDT course focuses on how advanced technicians, designers, and/or engineers use laboratory and project information in the mix design process to create long-lasting asphalt mixtures.
Who Should Attend:
This course primarily targets new technicians. Others who can benefit are, asphalt technologists, engineers, consultants, scientists, and technicians responsible for asphalt testing, materials approval, specification and quality control for pavements. Knowledge of the Superpave aggregate and mixture specifications is helpful but not required. The course will also benefit local and state materials and federal agency personnel, contractors, and university educators.
|NOV 12 – 15, 2019||Day 1-3: 8:00am – 5:00pm
Day 4: 8:00am – noon
|Asphalt Institute Headquarters
2696 Research Park Dr
Lexington, KY 40511-8480
Fees & Registration:
- The registration fee is $1,495.
- Registration fees must be received prior to the course date.
- The fee includes course material(s), optional exam, refreshments and lunches.
- Early registration is recommended as the classes are limited to 6 students per instructor
Optional Certification Testing:
The last afternoon is reserved for an optional written certification exam. The exam, which takes from two to three hours to complete on average, is designed to be challenging enough to allow only those students who have a good understanding of laboratory procedures to pass. Specifying agencies may accept the Asphalt Institute Basic Mixture Technician Training Certification, either in whole or in part, as meeting the requirements for certification for their agency. Prospective participants should verify the applicability of this certification with their local agency. The Asphalt Institute does not maintain a list of agencies that accept this certification.
Tests Covered in Laboratory Portion of Course:
Every person entering an Asphalt Institute Laboratory space must wear safety glasses and a lab coat. Individuals who wear glasses must wear side shields. AI will supply required PPE, but welcomes students to bring their own PPE to ensure comfort and fit.
|Aggregate Consensus Tests
||HMA Compacted Specimen & Volumetric Properties Tests
Professional Development Hours:
- 4 day course, 28 PDHs
If you work for an Asphalt Institute member company and this is your first time registering, please call 859.288.4960 if you need assistance in setting up an account.
Transfer, Cancellation and Refund Policy:
You may cancel without penalty up to three weeks prior to course start date. If you provide the Asphalt Institute with less than three weeks notice, or fail to attend, you will be liable for the entire seminar fee.
You may also send someone to take your place. We appreciate that this is an important investment for you and your company and would like to accommodate your needs the best we can. Therefore, please call us at 859.288.4960.
Hotel Information & Helpful Links:
- (268KB) Lexington, KY Hotels
- (4MB) Asphalt Academy Brochure
- (478KB) Asphalt Academy Mail / Fax Registration Form
For more information contact:
Inclement Weather Info:
In case of inclement weather please check our Inclement Weather Information page for further instructions.