This series of webinars will give you a broad-based understanding of the product and it’s many application in the paving and roofing industries. Enhance your knowledge with this comprehensive overview of “everything binder” – from production and modification to the newest applications and technologies. A recommended resource to compliment this webinar recording series is the Asphalt Institute’s MS-26 The Asphalt Binder Handbook.
|Asphalt Binder Series Part 1 – Introduction to Asphalt Binders
This session provides an introduction to asphalt binders. Specifically, the webinar examines natural and petroleum asphalt, refining to produce asphalt binder, constituents of asphalt binders, physical properties, how asphalt binders behave, and preparation for testing (sampling, heating, and splitting).
|Asphalt Binder Series Part 2 – Asphalt Binder Testing and Specifications
This session discusses the tests and the accompanying specifications that are used to characterize the physical properties of asphalt binders used in paving applications. Traditional asphalt binder tests and specifications are discussed. The advantages and disadvantages of these tests/specifications are considered and the rationale for change discussed. The Performance-Graded (PG) asphalt binder tests and specification are discussed in detail including: (1) how the specification addresses pavement performance; (2) how the asphalt binder is “graded”; and (3) how grades are selected for use. The Multi-Stress Creep-Recovery (MSCR) test and specification are also discussed.
|Asphalt Binder Series Part 3 – Asphalt Binder Testing and Specifications (continued)
This session is a continuation of Session 2 – Asphalt Binder Testing and Specifications I.
|Asphalt Binder Series Part 4 – Asphalt Binder Modification, Emulsions, and Cutbacks
This session provides an overview of the modification of asphalt binders, including the types of modification and the tests that are used specific to modified asphalt binders. Additionally, the session examines the use of asphalt binders in emulsions and cutbacks. The types of emulsions and cutbacks are discussed as well as the tests and specifications that are used for these products. Air-blown asphalts that are used in the roofing industry are discussed including the appropriate tests and specifications used for characterizing these products.
- (2MB) Instructions for viewing a recorded webinar
- To register and pay for this series you can contact our offices by phone (859.288.4960) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Professional Development Hours:
- 2 PDHs per session available
A PDH Certificate is available upon request after you complete the session by sending an email to email@example.com with the name of the webinar and full name you used to register.
- R. Michael Anderson, P.E., Asphalt Institute Director of Research and Lab Services
Who Should Attend:
This series of webinars is technical in nature, with an expected audience of technicians and engineers who are interested in learning more about asphalt binders, their chemical and physical properties, and how tests and specifications are used in characterizing asphalt binders. Sales and marketing students may also benefit from the comprehensive overview of asphalt products and properties. It is based on the Asphalt Institute’s MS-26 The Asphalt Binder Handbook.
- Registration is per individual. Only the registered person will receive emails about the webinar and will be recognized for a PDH certificate. See below for group registration.
- We would encourage you to visit http://support.webex.com/support/system-requirements.html to ensure your system is compatible with our webinar system before you register or as soon as possible afterward.
- We also highly recommend that you go to: http://www.webex.com/lp/jointest/ and join a test meeting to load the client and test your system.
Group Registration & PDH Certificate Policy
- Full details are listed on our Group Registration Policy page.