Upcoming Class Dates
|March 2023||8:30 am – 4:30 pm daily (Mountain Time)||TBA||TBA|
While the construction of high quality, long-lasting asphalt pavements begins with their design, the details of good construction workmanship cannot be over emphasized. Industry experts Tim Murphy, P.E., Murphy Pavement Technology, and Dave Johnson, P.E., Asphalt Institute Senior Regional Engineer, bring their combined 60+ years of experience in this arena with a one-day Idaho Asphalt Workmanship Training. Instruction will begin at 8:00 and end at 4:30. Morning, afternoon, and lunch breaks will occur. Eight Professional Development Hours are offered to attendees
Tim and Dave have designed this class to emphasize Idaho specifications for the construction of asphalt pavements.
In this workshop, you will learn the basics of each of the important steps in the construction process and how to properly balance the paving operation. These steps include how the asphalt mixture is produced and hauled to the project, best practices for preparing the underlying layers for paving, placement/laydown best practices, and the compaction process for asphalt mixtures with an emphasis on the longitudinal joint. Tim and Dave will also discuss the importance of the quality assurance process during each of the critical phases of construction to make sure quality is achieved. The specific agenda for the course is as follows:
- Start time: 8:30AM
- Lunch Break: 30-minutes around noon (provided)
- Ending time: 4:30PM
- One 15-minute break in the morning and afternoon
- Teamwork & Safety and Beginning of Contract
- Surface Preparation
- Mixture Delivery and Placement
- Compaction Including Joint Construction
- Combating Segregation
- Inspection and Quality Assurance
In-class exercises will be assigned. All attendees will receive a Certificate of Attendance from the Asphalt Institute.
Attendees will receive one electronic copy each of the Asphalt Institute’s MS-22, Construction of Quality Asphalt Pavements (a $75 value) which was updated in 2020, and electronic PDF copies of all the presentations.
Who Should Attend
The workshop is designed for engineers, inspectors, technicians and contractor personnel responsible for quality control of paving materials, mix designs, the inspection and operations of asphalt plants and paving operations. Participation should include personnel from federal, state, county and local agencies, airport authorities, paving contractors, consulting engineers, and testing laboratories.
Fees & Registration
- The registration fee for this in-person course is $345.
- Registration fees must be received prior to the course date.
- The fee includes course material(s).
- Early registration is recommended especially for the onsite option as an attendance cap is being enforced.
Professional Development Hours
1-day workmanship course, 8 PDHs
- If you work for an Asphalt Institute member company and this is your first time registering, please call 859.288.4960 if you need assistance in setting up an account.
Transfers, Cancellation and Refund Policy
- For the virtual course, you may cancel without penalty up to one week prior to course start date. If you provide the Asphalt Institute with less than one week’s notice, or fail to attend, you will be liable for the entire seminar fee.
- For in-person courses you may also send someone to take your place. We appreciate that this is an important investment for you and your company and would like to accommodate your needs the best we can. Therefore, please call us at 859.288.4960.
Inclement Weather Info
In case of inclement weather, Dave Johnson or Time Murphy will notify participants via a text message of any changes that are weather induced.