Optimizing Volumetrics and HMA Compactability Utilizing the Bailey Method
Have you ever wondered why your volumetric test results were passing in the morning and failing miserably by noon? This webinar will explain several reasons why this can occur. This webinar will cover the basics of VMA and Air Voids and explain how absorption affects your results. We will discuss the Baily Method, which is an innovative aggregate and mixture analysis system that can accurately estimate the effects of aggregate packing and how that affects mix volumetrics. The four basic principles of the Baily Method will be introduced to help explain mysterious volumetric changes that can occur in field produced mixtures.
- Understanding Volumetric Testing In The Field
- Explaining Bailey Aggregate Packing Characteristics
- Defining Mixture Type – Baily Principle #1
- Coarse Aggregate Ratio – Principle #2
- Fine Aggregate Coarse Ratio – Principle #3
- Fine Aggregate Fine Ratio – Principle #4
- Summarize Mixture Effects Due To Gradation Change
Who Should Attend
This webinar is intended for inspectors, technicians, engineers, project managers, and consultants who are actively engaged in asphalt mix design and quality control operations of hot mix asphalt plants. Aggregate manufacturers involved with the production of mineral aggregate for hot mix use would also benefit.
- Mark Blow, P.E., Regional Engineer, Asphalt Institute
Professional Development Hours
- 2 hrs., 2 PDHs
- Earned PDHs and certifications can be downloaded at your convenience when logged into the Asphalt Institute Learning Portal. Using the menu icon in the upper left corner, go to the “My Activities” menu option: select either the “Courses” or “Learning Plans” option from the menu on the page. To the right of each course or learning plan you have completed will be an award icon. Clicking that icon will allow you to download the desired certificate.
- Registration is per individual. Only the registered person will receive emails about the webinar and will be recognized for a PDH certificate. See below for group registration.
Group Registration & PDH Certificate Policy
- Full details are listed on the Group Registration Policy page.