Upcoming Class Dates
|OCT 18-21, 2022||8:00AM – 5:00PM||Reno, NV||Enroll Today!|
|JAN 24-27, 2023||8:00AM – 5:00PM||Lexington, KY||Enroll Today!|
|MAR 20-31, 2023||12:00PM – 3:30PM||ONLINE||Enroll Today!|
Continuous Live Chat with experienced Asphalt Institute Engineers will be available throughout online sessions to address questions and comments.
The Mix Design Technology Certification (MDT) course provides advanced technicians, designers, and engineers responsible for mix designs with a thorough understanding of the properties of the materials which compose asphalt mixtures, as well as the physical and mathematical processes involved in producing a successful asphalt mixture design. Students will receive training over the entire range of activities related to the design of asphalt mixtures: aggregate and binder selection, material properties, development of trial blends, batching, volumetric calculations and analysis, Superpave mix criteria, mix performance tests and criteria, use of RAP in asphalt mix designs, plus an overview of SMA and open-graded mixtures.
This MDT course focuses on how advanced technicians, designers, and/or engineers use laboratory and project information in the mix design process to create long-lasting asphalt mixtures, supplemented with videos on tests and laboratory processes involved in asphalt mix design.
For detailed, hands-on laboratory training on basic aggregate and asphalt mixture testing for both experienced and inexperienced technicians, we recommend Asphalt Institute’s Basic Mixture Technician Training course. Unlike MDT, this course focuses on giving the students a thorough understanding of each test and related processes, while instructing students on the procedures and techniques which will maximize testing accuracy and repeatability.
- Each day begins at 12 PM Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) and will last anywhere from 3.0 to 3.5 hours in length (including multiple breaks).
Specifics for the OCT 18-21, 2022 Event in Reno, NV
- MDT Campus Map for Reno, NV - OCT 18-21
- Held in the Harry Reid Engineering Laboratory (HREL)
- Google Maps Link
- Room #: HREL 109/110
- There are two spots for paid visitor parking:
- Brian J. Whalen Parking Complex for $2.00 / hour (four hour max) bottom floor and West Stadium Parking Complex (top level only) $6.00 / day.
- THE BRIAN WHALEN PARKING GARAGE AND WEST STADIUM PARKING GARAGE ARE BOTH LOCATED ON N. VIRGINIA ST.
- Then proceed to walk South to the Harry Reid Engineering Lab Room 109/110.
- Note: Please plan extra time, since the students are currently back on campus and parking may be challenging.
Who Should Attend
This course has been developed to meet the needs of those actively involved in mixture design, material specifications and field management of asphalt mixtures. State and local transportation agencies, consultants and contractors who are involved in HMA materials and mix design will benefit from this course.
The MDTC program Is utilized by user agencies to satisfy qualification requirements for personnel identified in ASTM D3666.
Fees & Registration
- The registration fee for this in-person course is $1,495 USD.
- The registration fee for this virtual/online course is $1,195 USD.
- Registration fees must be received prior to the course date.
- The fee includes the workshop materials in printed or digital format. A copy of the Asphalt Institute’s MS-2 Asphalt Mix Design Methods, and the optional certification test are also included in the fee.
- Early registration is recommended as the class size is limited.
Professional Development Hours
- 22.5 PDHs
Optional Certification Testing
The last day is reserved for completing the optional certification exam. Four hours are allowed to take the exam, yet most students complete it in two to three hours. The exam is designed to be challenging enough to allow only those students who have a good understanding of the design process to pass. A passing score of 80% or higher. Students passing the optional written certification exam will earn the Asphalt Institute’s Mix Design Technology Certification.
Refer to the course offering program agenda for exam date and times. For MDT course offerings held virtually, the optional written exam will be scheduled and proctored virtually. Virtual proctoring includes the use of a webcam which allows for the same level of supervision as in-person.
Several specifying agencies have accepted the Asphalt Institute Mix Design Technology Certification, either in whole or in part, as meeting the requirements for certification for their agency. Prospective participants should verify the applicability of this certification with their local agency.
- While the Asphalt Institute’s MDT certification does not have an expiration date, the Asphalt Institute is now offering an MDT Certification renewal option. MDT Certificate holders needing to renew their certification should inquire by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or call 859.288.4960. Current certificate holders will be verified prior to recertification registration.
- If you work for an Asphalt Institute member company and this is your first time registering, please call 859.288.4960 if you need assistance in setting up an account.
Transfers, Cancellation and Refund Policy
- For the virtual course, you may cancel without penalty up to one week prior to course start date. If you provide the Asphalt Institute with less than one week’s notice, or fail to attend, you will be liable for the entire seminar fee.
- For in-person courses, you may cancel without penalty up to three weeks prior to course start date. If you provide the Asphalt Institute with less than three weeks’ notice, or fail to attend, you will be liable for the entire seminar fee. You may send someone to take your place. We appreciate that this is an important investment for you and your company and would like to accommodate your needs the best we can. Therefore, please call us at 859.288.4960.
Inclement Weather Info
In case of inclement weather please check our Inclement Weather Information page for further instructions.